Plan, direct, or coordinate the operations of a private sector organization.
Duties and responsibilities include formulating policies, managing daily operations, and planning the use of materials and human resources, but are too diverse and general in nature to be classified in any one functional area of management or administration, such as personnel, purchasing, or administrative services.
- Review financial statements, sales or activity reports, or other performance data to measure productivity or goal achievement or to identify areas needing cost reduction or program improvement.
- Direct and coordinate activities of businesses or departments concerned with the production, pricing, sales, or distribution of products.
- Direct administrative activities directly related to making products or providing services.
- Prepare staff work schedules and assign specific duties.
- Monitor suppliers to ensure that they efficiently and effectively provide needed goods or services within budgetary limits.
- Direct or coordinate financial or budget activities to fund operations, maximize investments, or increase efficiency.
- Establish or implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, or procedures in conjunction with board members, organization officials, or staff members.
- Perform personnel functions such as selection, training, or evaluation.
- Plan or direct activities such as sales promotions that require coordination with other department managers.
- Set prices or credit terms for goods or services based on forecasts of customer demand.
- Manage the movement of goods into and out of production facilities to ensure efficiency, effectiveness, or sustainability of operations.
- Perform sales floor work, such as greeting or assisting customers, stocking shelves, or taking inventory.
- Develop or implement product-marketing strategies, including advertising campaigns or sales promotions.
- Recommend locations for new facilities or oversee the remodeling or renovating of current facilities.
- Implement or oversee environmental management or sustainability programs addressing issues such as recycling, conservation, or waste management.
- Direct non-merchandising departments of businesses, such as advertising or purchasing.